Sunday, September 14, 2008

BLIND MAN CASTS VOTE IN SWAZI POLL

Swazi Observer


2 September 2008


Blind man casts vote at Mbilaneni


By Starsky Mkhonta


A blind man was one of voters who voted during the primary elections at Mbilaneni on Saturday.


Jackson Kunene (88) had to be assisted on how to select a candidate amongst those standing for the elections of Bucopho, Indvuna Yenkhundla and MP positions. Kunene arrived at the polling station at Makhosini Primary School in the company of a woman who was identified as Themba Khumalo of Makhonza.


Kunene thanked the police officers who assisted him to vote.


“All I did was to say the names of the candidates I wanted to vote for.”


He said he had not crossed the ballot papers himself.


“I know how valuable my vote is.”


He said it would be disappointing to learn that the one who assisted him did not select the candidates he had chosen.


“Just because I am blind does not mean people must take advantage of me and abuse my vote."


Link http://www.observer.org.sz/main.php?id=46602&section=main

No comments: